Something a little different this week. When I write Green Tips, I try to take examples from what I am doing in my life in real time. Nothing was flowing smoothly for this post, so I decided to pay attention to the unusual amount of buckets in my life. First Joy & Tracy over at Homefries assigned a Summer Bucket List, and then I happened upon an amazing project called Bucket List Publications. This injected some vigor into this last week and got me excited about setting goals and making plans. Since I like to share what I am excited about, here goes:
Can someone please tell me why buckets have a special significance to our lifelong dreams? I could think of many more romantic or appropriate items, such as a hot air balloon or even a champagne bottle, that I would rather have symbolic meaning for my life. Yes I know we “kick the bucket” and all that, but again, why a bucket? What about a soccer ball? I’d rather go out with a goal…ok that is cheesy, but for god’s sake it has got to be better than a bucket?!
Either way, I have several “bucket” lists. I made one back during my birthday for this year of being 25. I’ll type up a little recap of that with the Summer Bucket List, because a few things overlap. But I’ve also decided to share my big kahuna of a list. I want a different name than Bucket List though! I’ve never been a huge fan of that term. Be Awesome List? Life Goal List? Maybe I’ll go with my theme for this blog – celebrating life through nature and food. So the Celebrate Life list begins…
Summertime, and the livin’ is easy
From the 25 Things for Turning 25 List:
#10 Volunteer at a nursing or assisted living home
#12 Family Grillsgiving 2012
#25 Get 25 bear hugs from 25 different people in one day.
Also for the summer ~ Do 17 random acts of kindness, start swimming to train for the triathlon, and continue to keep this zucchini plant alive.
The big kahuna - Celebration of Life list
2. Swim with dolphins in as natural environment as possible.
3. Go to Costa Rica and volunteer with baby sea turtles.
4. Go horseback riding in Mongolia
5. Experience the wonder of the Himalayas
6. Go on a Civil War tour in America and/or a WWII tour in Europe with my dad
7. Take an extended family – Team Johnson – cruise in Norway
8. Skydive by the time I’m 30
9. Do a Mudrunner by age 28
10. Take my great-godmother to Paris
11. Eat my way through North Africa and the Middle East, starting in Morocco and ending in Afghanistan
12. Kayak, dogsled, and take an eco-friendly small boat cruise through Alaska
13. Teach English on a Peace Boat voyage
14. Do a hiking tour of the national parks in Utah
15. Take a train journey from the Midwest through South Dakota to the Pacific Northwest
16. See the redwoods
17. Road trip up the 101 highway with my soulmate Kendall
18. Dance around the continent of Africa, experiencing and learning about happiness from as many people as possible
19. Ride an elephant. Hug a baby elephant.
20. Go to the Okinawan sweet potato festival